Featured Posts

Self-care Isn't Selfish

Those of you who also follow me on other social media platforms may have noticed that I’ve placed more focused on self-care in my posts. You may be asking yourselves, well what does self-care have to do with carnival? It actually has everything to do with it.

If you have not experienced a carnival before, know that it is not like going on vacation. Although you may find yourself in paradise, the chances of laying on a beach and sipping a pina colada or seeing famous landmarks are unlikely. Carnivals are packed with parties, what West Indians refer to as fêtes. There are also other carnival celebrations native to each island or region such as steel pan competitions or J’ouvert. That said, all the revelry leaves little time to rest and most need time to recoup after carnival.

Still, I have had some other life experiences over the past three years that have also made me focus more of self-care. According to Michael (n.d.),”Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although it’s a simple concept in theory, it’s something we very often overlook. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others” (Michael, n.d.).

It is critical that we all incorporate self-care activities in our everyday lives. As it relates to carnival self-care includes but is not limited to exercise, healthy eating habits, dancing/listening to music, and pampering. You can take a look at some self-care DIY’s that I posed on YouTube by visiting this link

There are some things that you want to keep in mind when participating in carnival. Taking care of your body is key–playing mas involves showing more skin than you would do on a normal basis. Therefore, having a fitness routine is key, not only for good weight management but also for increasing stamina. Furthermore, fitness is only 20% of weight management, the other 80% is healthy eating habits so a nutritious will help you feel and look good. Still, using products that will aid in maintaining a healthy glow is also important. Using body butters, sunscreen, and even regular exfoliating are just a few steps that can help maintain healthy skin.

Moreover, pampering is certainly at the top of the list when it comes to self-care! Who doesn’t love taking a bubble bath, getting a new hair do, or getting a manicure? These are just some self-care items that also can be used in preparing for carnival.

In conclusion, self-care doesn’t have to be expensive so while you are enjoying the next carnival don’t forget to bask in the sun, sneak in a 10 minute meditation session, and make new acquaintances.


Michael, R. (n.d.). What Self-Care Is ? and What It Isn’t. Retrieved from https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/08/10/what-self-care-is-and-what-it-isnt-2/

#fitness #diy #bodybutter #bodyshimmer #bodyscrub #mas #selfcare #skincare #mandismotif #carnivalblogger #trinidad #sheabutter #cocoabutter #mica #almondoil #coconutoil #essentialoils #prettymas #youtuber